Saturday, February 8, 2014

I was reading that all artists border on the the edge of narcissism, and thought there is some truth in that.  This compulsion for self-expression, self-assertion; trying to make meaning, art, emotion from a thought or experience or maybe it all just begins with a feeling.  All people are narcissistic  but to believe someone should want to read what you write, or hang what you paint on their wall requires  living on edge of narcissism.  I have known several who fell over that edge and their work became boring.  This self-assertion is a natural unfolding process.
Are artists more narcissistic than any one else? probably not-But If one does not live bordering on narcissism would any artist make work that would be deep enough to resonate with anyone.

Two last paintings featured Pinocchio who I've been falling in love with.  I still feel like i am learning more about painting daily.  This is an infinite process.  I read Picasso was painting three hours before he died. I remember admiring one of Brenda Vang's paintings once and she turned and said, " I think this one I was really painting, not just coloring in the the  lines." (catch her work if you can painterly and profound) -digress; so nine years later I finish this pinocchio painting (which will be in the May show so come and see it! )and while I am painting the horse - i start painting -- adding layers with different brush srtokes-- enjoying the effects.  Every day something new; this was a good choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment